Extending lifespan, or reversing age, took almost 7 centuries to transcend from fiction books and paintings, and reach research papers.
The path that now we are on, is leading us to new molecules and herbal extracts that have a huge potential to increase the healthy lifespan (or health span) of an individual. Recent research, and clinical studies, have revealed some very promising compounds that might become the future of life extension. But, we should not forget that Longevity is about increasing lifespan in a way that an individual's biology is functional and youthful for a longer period of time.
Here we take you through the top 5 key compounds that have huge potential to boost your life expectancy, or let's say extend longevity, and can be leveraged through appropriate consumption in the form of nutraceutical supplements, as part of your daily lifestyle.
- The miracle bio-enzyme booster - NMN (Nicotinamide mononucleotide)
NMN is a naturally occurring compound found in DNA or RNA that is used to produce NAD+, another beneficial biomolecule that helps generate energy in the body. However, although NAD+ is produced naturally in our bodies, our ability to maintain its level falls drastically as we age. Therefore, after a certain point, supplementation becomes vital to maintain and boost energy. NAD+ boosted by NMN also influences various other aspects of the ageing process and helps by
- Improving the cellular capacity of the mitochondria, aka "Powerhouse of the Cell", to generate more energy through the body
- Helps maintain the body clock and sleep cycle by influencing molecular clocks (circadian rhythms) in the body
- Increased mental cognition, including better mental clarity, higher concentration and enhanced memory function.
- The Antioxidant and Anti-aging compound - Resveratrol
Resveratrol is mostly found in the skins and seeds of grapes, berries, nuts & cocoa, and is known for its antioxidant and anti-ageing properties. The anti-inflammatory effects of resveratrol make it a good remedy for various age-related diseases like arthritis and skin inflammation. It also helps in protecting against severe diseases like cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's disease. Reservatrol has also been found to lengthen the "chromosomal ends", and activates a DNA repair gene called SIRT1 (AKA Longevity Gene). One of the highlights of Resveratrol is also that it continues to be one of the very few anti-oxidants that can actually cross the blood-brain barrier and protect the brain from toxicity.
- The Anti-inflammatory compound - Pterostilbene ( More bioavailable cousin of Resveratrol)
Pterostilbene, which is also a more bioavailable cousin of Resveratrol, is an antioxidant found in many plants, including almonds, grape leaves, grape vines, and blueberries, and helps slow the ageing process by helping the body to manage inflammation, improving the epigenome and protecting the DNA. It impacts some of the core functions, like
- Reducing protein accumulation, which is one of the drivers of ageing
- Activates AMPK, an important enzyme that can protect cells against ageing
- Increases the production of powerful antioxidant enzymes, protecting the cells against oxidative damage
Lastly, Pterostilbene when taken with NMN, actually helps anchor NMN in the body, to allow us more time to absorb NMN.
- The real anti-aging compound - AKG ( Alpha-Ketoglutarate)
AKG is a small biomolecule naturally produced in our body, but its production levels reduce as we age. Apart from assisting in cellular energy production, AKG also helps various other bodily functions, including amino acid production and cellular signalling. Some of its other areas of impact include:
- Increase in protein synthesis to enhance bone tissue formation in the skeletal muscles
- Accelerates cellular repair after injuries, especially in the healing of muscle tissue
- Is an intermediary metabolite of the Krebs cycle -a complex chain of reactions that generates energy from nutrients.
- The destroyer of zombie cells - Fisetin
Fisetin is a naturally occurring compound present in apples and strawberries. It is known to be one of the most potent Senolytic Activators (AKA Zombie Cell Killer).
- It controls Inflammation in your body
- Selectively removes zombie cells, without killing the healthy cells
Fisetin also promotes healthy cellular regeneration by assisting stem cell activity.
When we talk about lifespan, it is important to take into consideration the fact that most of the later decades of an individual are spent suffering from the perils of age-related diseases. In addition to the constant advancement of healthcare services and products, human longevity has expanded substantially over the last few decades aided by means of improved lifestyle choices, food and sleeping habits. While these molecules don't answer all the mysteries of ageing yet when used in conjunction with good practices, can have brilliant effects in slowing down the ageing process and reap the benefits of improved health!
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before being published.